Bienvenidos!

The following information is provided by the Del Mar Historical Society to enhance your appreciation of the Alvarado House history.

General Background

In 1985 this building, then 100 years old, was donated to the Del Mar Historical Society.  After attempts failed to find a permanent site in Del Mar, in 1989 the Del Mar Fair Board offered this fair grounds location with the proviso that the house be restored and open to the public during the annual County Fair.  We are most grateful for the Fair Board's assistance, because without it, this historic structure would undoubtedly have been demolished.

History

The Alvarado House is named after its first owner. Don Diego de Jesus Alvarado - one of the last "Silver Dons" who ruled the great land-grant ranchos that once covered large areas of San Diego County.  His was the Rancho de los Penasquitos, which stretched from Sorrento Valley to Poway.  

Don Diego purchased the house in 1885 from Jacob Taylor.  Del Mar's original developer and moved to Del Mar where he ran a livery stable.  No pictures of Don Diego are known to exist, but he has been described as  "a most picturesque character, hospitable to a fault and fond of fine horses and all forms of entertainment."  In the late 1880's, after Don Diego's stable burned, he moved to San Diego where little is known of him except for one report that he operated a bar there.

After several owners, another historical family occupied the house, beginning in 1906.  Julio Osuna was the last Don of Rancho San Dieguito (now Rancho Santa Fe).  Following his death, Mrs. Osuna moved into the house originally owned by her brother-in-law.  Don Diego Alvarado.  Here she made ends meet by cooking meals for the workmen who were building the Stratford Inn on the current site of Del Mar's L'Auberge resort. 

In 1940, widower Loreto Arballo bought the house and moved in with his three children.  Here they stayed for 36 years and it came to be known as "Arballo House." One son, Bill, became one of Del Mar's early Mayors. 

Architecture

Originally built as a summer beach cottage, the construction was simple.  The house is built without stud framing; both interior and exterior walls are of 7/8-inch tongue and groove redwood.  These were nailed to the floor joists and rafters with square nails.  The lot and house originally sold for $600.00.

Although the interior arrangement has been faithfully restored, it was not possible to do so with the exterior.  A continuation of the front porch ran along one side of the house and an ADA-compliant visitors' ramp now provides access.

Decor

The original exterior paint color seems to have been a medium green with slate-blue trim.  A number of other colors were used over the years from which we chose the tan and whine you see today.  Inside walls were papered and ceilings were painted a light off-yellow.  Pieces of the original wall papers are displayed in the front room.  Where feasible, efforts were made to obtain wall papers as much like the originals as possible.  The original papers were put onto cheesecloth that had been glued to the wood.  In restoration, we had to place a layer of drywall over the wood to permit the use of modern materials.

Furnishings

I furnishing the house, we have tried to stay in the period between 1885 and 1910.  Replica furnishings have been constructed as authentically as possible but will be replaced when originals are available. 

In this regard, if you have items that can be used at the Alvarado House and you are willing to donate them, please let us know; we would love to speak with you.

Living Spaces

The initial entry room was called the "parlor" and was reserved for the formal entertainment of visitors.  With Don Diego's reputation as a party giver, it must have been well used during the years he lived here!  The second large room was a combined family/dining room where meals were served and informal family activities took place.  There were two bedrooms, one of which has been furnished.

The kitchen revealed no indication of water having been piped in, although we know it was available on each lot.  The location for the replica of the dry sink was selected because a hole was found worn into the original flooring at the spot where one would logically pivot between stove and sink.

Electrical power was probably not available until 1918 when SDG&E extended their lines to Del Mar Heat from the kitchen stove originally warmed the house, there being no evidence of other chimney pipes until a floor furnace was installed in the 1940's.

Don Diego Memorial Room

For well over three decades fairgoers were met by Don Diego, the official greeter of the Del Mar Fair.  Although there is no connection between the original Don Diego, first owner of this house and the character played by actor Tommy Hernandez, it is interesting that from descriptions they were very much alike. 

It is appropriate that at the Del Mar Fair, where the later Don Diego was created, a memorial display to him should be placed in the home of his namesake, Don Diego de Jesus Alvarado.